View of the lens-board fixing mechanism. Simple sections of card, fixed at the bottom and offset sliding at the top.
Lens-cap, Lens-board + Lens, Yellow Filter, and 3x Aperture Stops: f/60, f/30, and f/15 – all approx. in relation to the lens dia.
I have my first two images.... 👏
As per my reading the results bear that info out. 1st image – contrasty and soft, 2nd image – much less contrasty & visibly sharper.
To note, the Negative Holder I made is pretty good, only some light leaks around the top edge, none of which extend to image area, at least under current lighting conditions, dull & flat.
Bit more completed today on the 'camera'.
I received some small brass screws, finally, yesterday in the mail, so was able to move along a little.
I now have the Front Standard glued and screwed. It has two bits of off-cut 10mm bolt fitted either side. These then fit through two slots in an outer frame to enable some forward/back tilt and up/down movements. Fixed by a corresponding nut on each bolt...
Today I made the first set of bellows...!
I recently began building my own Large Format Camera – a 4x5 nominally. Initially to use with Paper Negatives, but potentially also with sheet film if it proves to be worthwhile.
Initially I had toyed with the idea of using a magnifying glass lens – technically a Bi-Convex lens, but finding one of sufficient quality ( I didn't want use my heirloom glass) was proving a problem..! I then found a chap in Mid-Wales, UK who built telescopes and after a couple of emails I bought a 50mm dia ACHROMATIC Doublet from him with a focal length of approx 176mm and f/3.3. This duly arrived a couple of days ago.
A while back I had the fancy of getting a small ancient folding camera. In the back of my mind were the camera's made by the likes of Kodak in the early part of the C19th. I wasn't sure even whether I could find one that still functioned, actually most of them do to a degree or so...
This camera is small – 10mm x 60mm x 110mm or in old english money ½” x 2 ¼” x 4 ¼”